Who doesnt like Chocolate, and who doesnt like cupcakes? Oh I do know a few who dont like chocolates! But then I also know of those who can eat chocolate at anytime of the day – one of them being me, and the kid is following mamas footsteps
So the last time when I asked Zoey, what should I bake this week, she said – Mama CHOCOLATE POPs. Mama was pressed for time, and couldnt really make her chocolate cake pops, but we ended up making chocolate cupcakes, and frosted those with whipped cream.
These chocolate cupcakes are so delicious, it might just become your family favorite!
THE RECIPE YIELDS 16 CUPCAKES
Chocolate Cupcake :
1/2 cup ( cocoa powder
1 cup boiling hot water
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour (minus 1 tbsp)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup castor sugar ( fine granulated sugar)
2 large eggs – at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp corn flour
1.Preheat the oven to 180 Deg Celcius.
2. Mix cocoa in hot water and keep aside
3. In a bowl, sieve together flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In another bowl beat together butter and sugar, till fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beating the same with electric mixture. If you add the eggs together it usually curdles- never do that! Beat on medium for a minute or two
5. Now slowly incorporate dry ingredients with this wet batter, alternating with the hot cocoa mixture. At this stage beat the mixture a lot, we dont want hard cupcakes. Beat (with electric mixer) only enough to incorporate all together. Add the vanilla extract
6. Line cupcake tin with paper liners Fill batter till 3/4 th the liner.
7. Bake for 22-25 mins at 180 Deg C. Every oven works differently, so do a toothpick test at 20 mins to see if they are done.
Whipped cream frosting
1/2 cup whipping cream ( not amul ). It should be full fat cream.
t tbsp icing sugar ( more or less on how sweet you like)
few drops Lorran Butterscotch flavouring ( loran oils) / a tsp vanilla extract/ vanilla essence ( your last resort)
Pour whipped cream in a bowl, and using your electric beater beat till soft peaks form. Incorporate sugar and beat till stiff peaks form. Add the flavoring and beat for few seconds.
TIPS : I have found that its difficult to get full fat cream. . I have seen Milky mist full fat cream (whipping cream) at times. But the best to my rescue has been non dairy whipping cream like Rich’s or Tropolite. These non dairy creams are already sweetened and dont require more sugar. Also they whip up like a charm.
Once the cupcakes are cooled. pipe the whipped cream frosting onto them. I have used a regular medium sized star tip nozzle, but if you do have bigger star tip like wilton 1M or even 2D its great!